Town of South Palm Beach
Best Town On The East Coast
Town Council
Town Manager's Office
Town Clerk's Office
Police Department
Building Department
Human Resources
Board Member Application
Comprehensive Plan
Council Meetings
Town Budget
Minutes and Resolutions
Code of Ordinances
Public Notices
Lecture & Music Series
Town's Newsletter
Viva Florida 500
Palm Beach County NPDES
2-1-1 Sunshine Call
Monthly Calendars
Annual Financial Report
Lobbyist Online Registration
Emergency Preparedness Guide
Hurricane Information
Condominium Emergency Preparedness
Flood/Disaster Protection
United Way Volunteer Program
Important Links
Water Restrictions
Going Green
Turtle Man
FDOT 511 Traffic Information
Art Exhibit
Homestead Exemption
Beach / Dune Restoration
Anniversary Paver Bricks
Contact Us

Building Department


Mr. Mike Crisafulle, Building Official

Ms. Donna Mitchell, Building Technician

Have Questions:  

561-588-8889  -  or Email:

The Building Department / Building Technician works under the supervision and direction of the Town Clerk's Office.

In an effort to provide high-quality service and satisfy our customers, the Town of South Palm Beach Building Department appreciates your feedback on your experience with our staff.  Please fill out the questionnaire below, and hit the SUBMIT button at the bottom of the page.

Florida has a very broad public records law. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. The Town makes every effort to protect individual privacy, but may be compelled to provide email addresses in some circumstances under Florida Law. If you do not wish to provide your email when signing up for this program, please call Yudy Alvarez, Town Clerk at 561-588-8889.






Q. Why do I need a permit?

 A. It is not only the law to obtain a permit, but a permit ensures that the plans are drawn and the structure constructed in accordance with the Florida Building Code, and all other applicable codes and ordinances, thereby protecting the welfare of life and property.

Q. What type of work needs a Building Permit ?

A. Section 105.1 of the Florida Building Code states:  Any contractor who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any required impact-resistant coverings, electrical, gas mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permits.

Q. Who may obtain the permit?

A. Only Licensed Contractors, as long as they meet all the requirements listed below.

Q. How long does it take to obtain a permit?

A. Most permits can be obtained within 2 business days. Some may take longer for various reasons.

Q. What is an inspection card ?

A. An inspection card is issued at the time a permit is issued.  The card details the inspections required and by what trade or trades.  The card is signed by each inspector conducting an inspection.  Once signed off for what is referred to as a "Final" it becomes an official record.

Q. What is an inspection?

A. An inspection is a service performed by our Licensed Building Inspectors in which the portion of the job that is being inspected is looked at to determine whether the work that has been completed thus far; has been done properly and according to Florida Building Code. 

Q. What if I have a permit and do not call for inspections ?

A. Permits expire after 6 months.  In order for a project to be completed, it must pass final inspections. If a permit expires before final inspections, it becomes null and void, and the project is in violation of the Code.  If this is your case, please call our office and we'll help you re-activate the permit.  Our interest is in seeing the project completed, including all final inspections and the protection of life and property.


Building Department Forms & Applications 

Failure to obtain a Permit in the Town of South Palm Beach, shall cause a penalty of  four (4) times the amount of the permit fee.


All Master Permit Applications must be signed by the Homeowner and the General Contractor.  All Sub-Permit Applications must be signed by the General Contractor and the Sub-Contractor.

A copy of the Signed Contract must also be submitted with the Permit package with the same signature requirements as for Permit Applications.. The Building Department will not accept any permit applications without a signed contract.

A RECORDED NOTICE OF COMMENCEMENT  must be submitted with the Permit Application for any work that is valued over $2500.00.


If you are NOT the "Company Qualifier" when registering a company or submitting a Building Permit Application please make sure you have a NOTARIZED letter on company letterhead,  signed by the company's qualifier,  authorizing you to act as the Qualifiers agent. The same must be done for anyone who is calling in for inspections in place of the Qualifier. ( This must be submitted to the Building Department BEFORE the inspection is called in.

Company Qualifiers or their authorized agents MUST fill out the "Annual Business Registration Application Form"  and submit all the proper paper work to the Building Department in order to complete the registration process.


Permits which have no file or inspection activity after six months are invalid and are voidable as determined  by the Building Official. 

Invalid permits may be re-validated within one year from the date of expiration, upon payment of $75.00 plus cost of revisions, or any other required fees.

Notice of Commencement  - Any  job costing $2,500.00 or over MUST have a Recorded NOC by the Clerk of the Court submitted WITH the permit application.  The exception to the rule is air conditioning where requirement of an NOC is for work valued at $7,500.00 and over.

Re-Inspection Fees -  There is a $55.00 fee for each failed inspection which must be paid at Town Hall before an inspection can be rescheduled. Correction notices will be posted on the jobsite by the Inspector at the time of the failed inspection.


  Please feel free to call or E-mail the Building Department if you have any questions.

           Telephone Number: 561-588-8889             E-mail: